The law requires the involvement of a lawyer where a step parent or another relative wishes to adopt a child. Adoption is the only way to formally end a person’s parental rights (both custodial/ access and financial) to a child. In most cases the person giving up his or her rights must consent. It is possible to dispense with consent of an individual in certain limited circumstances by obtaining a Court Order.